Capital of the state of New York, originally named Fort Orange, founded by Walloon settlers in 1623. In its earliest period the missions included in its territory were under the tutelage of Quebec and were ministered to by the Jesuits, among them Saint Isaac Jogues. Under the Dutch regime there were few Catholic inhabitants but after its transfer to Great Britain their number was greatly augmented. In 1667 Catholics from the Netherlands settled there and were ministered to by the Franciscan Father Hennepin. The city became the charge of John Carroll, Bishop of Baltimore, in 1790, and in 1797 Saint Mary’s church, the first church in the city and diocese, was begun and the corner-stone laid by Thomas Barry, a trustee. The first meeting to discuss the plans was held in the home of James Cassidy, grandfather of William Cassidy, editor of the Albany Argus. It became the episcopal residence for the Diocese of Albany in 1847.