Yorkshire, England. A Benedictine foundation having lineal continuity with the ancient Abbey of Westminster. The present house was founded as the monastery of Saint Lawrence in 1802, and erected into an abbey in 1890. The titular abbacies of Westminster and York and the cathedral priories of Durham, Worcester, Chester, and Rochester are attached to it. Its monks serve a number of missions in the vicinity and conduct a preparatory school and a college offering courses in preparation for university, navy, army, and air force examinations.