Saint Patrick converted Aengus, King of Cashel, c.450; Saint Ailbe established his see at Emly, where a great school flourished in the 5th century. In 1101 O’Dunan was made Archbishop of Cashel by Saint Celsus, and the Diocese of Emly was included in his jurisdiction. In 1152 Donat O’Lonergan was appointed to the see by the Synod of Kells. On the interesting limestone elevation known as the Rock of Cashel may be seen the ruins of the ancient cathedral, burnt in 1495. The round tower, Cormac’s chapel (1134), and an ancient cross are also of interest. United to the Diocese of Emly, Ireland in 1718.