Archdiocese of Colombo, Sri Lanka

The island was first evangelized by the Franciscans. Blessed Odoric de Pordenone baptized many there in 1323, and with the rapid spread of Christianity after 1500 a diocese was erected with Don Juan de Monteiro as first bishop. Under the Dutch in the 17th century the see fell into abeyance. It was re-established on 3 December 1834 as the Diocese of Ceylon with much work done by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The name was changed to the Diocese of Colombo on 17 February 1845. Elevated to an archdiocese on 1 September 1886. Elevated to a metropolitan archdiocese on 7 June 1887. Suffragan dioceses include

Notable bishops include

See also