Archdiocese of Dublin, Ireland

[Saint Mary's Pro-Cathedral]
Founded

  • known to have been in existence in 633

Elevated

Suffragans

    Bishops

      Notes

      Part of the Diocese of Glendalough, formally erected in 1118, was united with Dublin in 1152. In Glendalough was the famous monastic establishment of Saint Kevin, founded in the 6th century, ruins of which may still be seen. The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Dublin, founded, 1038, by King Sitric II, has been the Protestant Christ Church since the Reformation, and the archdiocese see church is the Saint Mary Pro-Cathedral. The transepts and a bay of the choir date from the 12th century. Early missionaries include Palladius and Saint Patrick.

      Additional Information

      MLA Citation

      • “Archdiocese of Dublin, Ireland“. Gazetteer of the Faith. Saints.SQPN.com. 16 August 2013. Web. 22 September 2014. <>