Archdiocese of Milan, Italy

[Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Milan, Italy]
Also known as

  • Archidioecesis Mediolanensis
  • Diocese of Milan, Italy

Founded

Elevated

Suffragans

Bishops

Additional Information

Notes

The city was founded in 396 B.C. by the Insubres, became a Roman possession in 221 BC and after 296 AD was the capital of several emperors; its name comes from Celtic, met lan. In 997 the title of count was given by Otto II to the archbishop. The secular power of the archbishop was diminished by the rise of the burghers who gained absolute authority in the city in 1116. From this point, the history of the city is a succession of wars against the empire and internal disturbances which terminated when the archbishop Otto Visconti proclaimed himself perpetual lord, ending the Republic of Milan. From 1500 the city was successively under the dominion of France, Spain, and Austria and finally in 1859 was annexed to the kingdom of Italy. The city is rich in works of art which include the magnificent cathedral begun in 1386 by Giovanni Galeazzo, the famous Last Supper of Leonardo da Vinci in the monastery of Santa Maria delle Grazie, and numerous treasures by Bramante and Amadeo. The martyrdom of Saint Gervasius and Saint Protasius, Saint Victor, Saint Felix, etc., took place at Milan and several general councils were held there.

MLA Citation

  • “Archdiocese of Milan, Italy”. Gazetteer of the Faith. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 October 2010. Web. 19 December 2014. <http://saints.sqpn.com/archdiocese-of-milan-italy/>