Formally the Augustinians of the Assumption.
A congregation which had its origin in the College of the Assumption, established in Nimes, France, in 1843, by Father Emmanuel d’Alzon, to combat irreligion in Europe and schism in the East. It was formally approved by a brief on 26 November 1864, and suppressed in French territory in 1900. At the time of its suppression this congregation had twenty Apostolic schools, with hospitals, orphanages, and branches in 80 dioceses; and La Bonne Presse which issued periodicals, pamphlets, and books in great numbers, the chief publication being La Croix. These institutions were all closed but the Assumptionists have opened similar ones in Belgium, England, Italy, the United States, and Chile. In the Orient, especially Turkey, Fathers and Brothers and Sisters, Oblates of the Assumption, conduct missionary stations, hospitals, and schools. The mother-house and the procurator-general, formerly at Paris, France are now in Rome, Italy.