Baltimore Catechism

The question of a uniform text-book of Christian doctrine was considered by the bishops not only at the First Provincial Council (1892), but also at the First (1852) and Second (1866) Plenary Councils of Baltimore. In the Third Plenary Council (1884) many bishops were in favor of a revised edition of Butler’s Catechism. The matter was finally entrusted to a committee of six bishops, and in 1885 they issued the “Catechism of Christian Doctrine, Prepared and Enjoined by Order of the Third Council of Baltimore.” Soon various editions with word-meanings, explanatory notes, and even with different arrangements, came forth, so that there is now considerable diversity in the books that go by the name of the Baltimore Catechism.