Benedictbeurn Abbey

Article

In the Bavarian Alps about 30 miles south of Munich, founded by three brothers, Lanfrid, Wulfram, and Eliland, as a college of regular canons, 740; revived under the Benedictine Rule, 1031. It became famous for scholarship and piety during the Middle Ages; was ravaged during the Thirty Years War; suppressed by the government, 1803, and used as barracks, hospitals, and stable. In 1901 Freiherr von Kramer-Klett, restorer of several monasteries, offered 5,500,000 marks for the property, but was met by a demand for 12,000,000, which he refused.

MLA Citation

  • “Benedictbeurn Abbey”. Gazetteer of the Faith. Saints.SQPN.com. 12 October 2010. Web. 31 July 2014. <http://saints.sqpn.com/benedictbeurn-abbey/>