Antonia early felt a call to religious life, and as a teenager began caring for and catechising children in her village. Attended the Institute in San Giorgio Canavese, simultaneously a student and a teacher. In 1806, she and several companions formed a group that would become the Institute of the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception of Ivrea, dedicated to teaching and catechising children, and home care for the sick; in 1819 they opened their first home, on 7 March 1828 King Charles Felix gave secular approval, and on 10 June 1828 her bishop gave his approval. Antonio spent the rest of her life, and ruined her health, in leading, promoting and expanding the Institute.
- 25 December 1838 in Pasquaro di Rivarolo Canavese, Turin, Italy of natural causes
- interred in the basement of her parish church
Fra Giovangiuseppe Califano, OFM
Suore di Carità dell’Immacolata Concezione
Via Val Canutta, 200
00166 Rome, ITALY