- Giosafata Hordashevska
- Michalina Jozafata Hordaszewska
- Mykhailyna Hordashevska
- Yosafata Hordashevska
Greek Catholic. Entered the contemplative Basilian Sisters at age 18. When the Basilians decided to establish a woman‘s congregation that focused on the active life, sister Mykhailyna was chosed to lead it. First member of the Sisters Servant of Mary Immaculate, taking the name Josaphata, from Saint Josaphat.
The Sister Servants “serve Your people where the need is greatest”, teaching and caring for the sick. Josaphata founded day care centers so parents could work the fields, studied herbal medicines and compounded home-made remedies for people who could not afford physicians, and read the lives of the saints to the illiterate. She and the Sisters worked in areas of typhus and cholera epidemics, helped restore churches, and taught people to make liturgical vestments.
Because many men and women of the day could not deal with a woman as governor of a congregation, she met great opposition from laity and clergy. Lies were told about her, and her fatal disease of incredibly painful, but she confronted all it with prayer, and today the Sisters have houses in Ukraine, Canada and Brazil.
- 7 April 1919 of tuberculosis of the bone in Krystynopil, Ukraine
- buried at Krystynopil
- remains transferred to a chapel at the Generalate of the Sisters Servants in Rome in November 1982
- if you have information relevant to the canonization of Blessed Josaphata, contact
Serve di Maria Immacolata
Via Cassia Antica, 104
00191 Roma, ITALY
Lord God, we praise you and we thank you for having called your servant Josaphata Hordashevska to the work of evangelization and education of youth. She was the first to respond to the charism of the Servants of Mary Immaculate, and throughout her virtuous life was an apostle among her Ukrainian people through her evangelical witness and her sanctity. Lord God, for your greater glory, and the spiritual good of souls, glorify your faithful servant, Sister Josaphata. Grant us the grace for which we so ardently pray through her intercession. Amen.
- Beatifications of Pope John Paul II
- Hagiography Circle
- Papal Visit to Ukraine
- Sisters Servant of Mary Immaculate
- “Blessed Josaphata Mykhailyna Hordashevska”. Saints.SQPN.com. 12 August 2010. Web. 19 May 2013. <http://saints.sqpn.com/blessed-josaphata-mykhailyna-hordashevska/>