Canons Regular of the Lateran

Also known as

  • Congregation of the Holy Saviour

Founded

  • 492 when the clergy of the Roman Basilica of Saint John Lateran adopted the Augustinian Rule under Gelasius

Profile

The canons served at the Basilica of Saint John Lateran until c.1472 when they were replaced by secular canons, though they retained their title and certain privileges. In addition to canonical duties, they serve pilgrims, tend the sick, teach, and preach. The Order spread to Italy, Poland, France, Belgium, Spain, and America. An affiliated congregation was founded in Austria in 1140. The Canons Regular of Reno were united to the Lateran Congregation in 1823.

MLA Citation

  • “Canons Regular of the Lateran“. Congregations of the Faith. Saints.SQPN.com. 23 April 2014. Web. 13 July 2014. <>