Archive for the ‘Gazetteer of the Faith’ Category.
Market town of Flintshire, North Wales, taking its name from the miraculous well of Saint Winefride. According to legend, a stream burst from the ground on the spot where Saint Winefride was slain by Caradoc, c.634, and has flowed ever since. The 14th-century Gothic chapel which encloses it is now used for Welsh services of the Anglican church and the well itself which sends up 21 tons of water a minute has been leased by the Jesuits of the mission. For more than a thousand, years, the town has been a place of pilgrimage and there have been numerous cures. The parish church is built over the remains of Basingwerk Abbey, used as a monastery before 1119. The Catholic buildings are the church of Saint Winifred, a convent, and a hospice for poorer pilgrims.
- “Holywell, Wales“. . Saints.SQPN.com. 2 November 2013. Web. 21 December 2013. <>
City, situated in Asia Minor, on the south slope of the mountains that separated Phrygia from Pisidia, two miles east of the ruins of Yalo-bach. Acts, 13, gives a lengthy account of Paul’s stay here, and shows the influence of his and Barnabas’s work.
- “Antioch, Pisidia“. . Saints.SQPN.com. 26 September 2013. Web. 21 December 2013. <>
A place which the prophet Joel tells us is to be the scene of the Last Judgment (Joel 3). Identified by some with the Valley of the Cedron, a ravine situated between Jerusalem and the Mount of Olives, regarded as the valley of judgment, probably because since the time of the kings of Juda, it was the principal cemetery of Jerusalem.
- “Valley of Josaphat“. . Saints.SQPN.com. 7 September 2013. Web. 21 December 2013. <>
Bermond’s isle. A former Benedictine abbey in Southwark, London. It was founded, 1082, by Alwyn Childe, a citizen of London, who established there a community of monks subject to Cluny; it became an abbey, 1399. A hospital and relief house of Saint Thomas in Southwark, founded by the prior, 1213, was attached to the monastery for over 200 years. The abbey was suppressed by Henry VIII, being at that time the only Cluniac abbey in England.
- “Bermondsey“. . Saints.SQPN.com. 6 September 2013. Web. 21 December 2013. <>
- German: Bruch, marsh; Latin: selle, seat
Capital of Belgium. Its foundation is traditionally attributed to Saint Gery, Bishop of Cambrai, in the 6th century. In the 8th century it was the residence of the Frankish kings, and from the l0th century belonged to the Dukes of Lower Lorraine and Brabant. Duke Charles of Lorraine brought to Brussels the relics of Saint Gudule (979) who has since then been the patroness of the city. In 1386 it became the capital of Brabant; under Charles V the capital of the Low Countries; and under Philip II the center of opposition to the Spanish rule. It was ceded to Austria in 1714, taken by the French, 1794, became part of the Netherlands in 1815, and in 1830 was the scene of a revolutionary outbreak which resulted in the establishment of the Kingdom of Belgium. During the World War it was occupied by the Germans. Among the buildings of Catholic interest are the churches of Saint Gudule, Notre Dame du Sablon, Notre Dame de la Chapelle, and Saint Jacques sur Caudenberg. The Jesuit College of Saint Michel is the seat of the publication of the by the Bollandists, and there are now kept the library and archives of the enterprise. A statue of Saint Michael, also a patron of Brussels, surmounts the Hotel de Ville. It is included in the Archdiocese of Mechlin.
- “Brussels, Belgium”. . Saints.SQPN.com. 16 August 2013. Web. 21 December 2013. <>