Catholic Encyclopedia – Saint Fergus, bishop of Downpatrick

Article

Died 583. He was sixth in descent from Coelbad, King of Erin. He built a church or monastery called Killmbain, identified by some as Killyban, Conty Down, and afterwards was consecrated bishop and ruled the cathedral church of Druimleithglais (Down). He was probably the first bishop of that see. His feast is kept on the 30th of March.

MLA Citation

  • Cornelius Mulcahy. “Saint Fergus, bishop of Downpatrick”. Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913. Saints.SQPN.com. 21 February 2013. Web. 20 September 2014. <>