Died about 730, known in the Irish martyrologies as Saint Fergus Cruithneach, or the Pict. The Breviary of Aberdeen states that he had been a bishop for many years in Ireland when he came on a mission to Alba with some chosen priests and other clerics. He settled first near Strageath, in the present parish of Upper Strathearn, in Upper Perth, erected three churches in that district. The churches of Strageath, Blackford, and Dolpatrick are found there today dedicated to Saint Patrick. He next evangelized Caithness and established there the churches of Wick and Halkirk. Thence he crossed to Buchan in Aberdeenshire and founded a church at Lungley, a village now called Saint Fergus. Lastly, he established a church at Glammis in Forfarshire. He went to Rome in 721 and was present with Sedulius and twenty other bishops at a synod in the basilica of Saint Peter, convened by Gregory II. His remains were deposited in the church of Glammis and were the object of much veneration in the Middle Ages. The Abbot of Scone transferred his head to Scone church, and encased it in a costly shrine there is an entry in the accounts of the treasurer of James IV, October, 1503, “An offerand of 13 shillings to Sanct Fergus’ heide in Scone”. The churches of Wick, Glammis, and Lungley had Saint Fergus as their patron. His festival is recorded in the Martyrology of Tallaght for the 8th of September but seems to have been observed in Scotland on the 18th of November.
- Cornelius Mulcahy. “Saint Fergus Cruithneach”. . Saints.SQPN.com. 21 February 2013. Web. 1 October 2014. <>