Founded in 1684 by Blessed Marie Poussepin at Sainville in the Diocese of Chartres, for teaching and the care of the sick. At the time of the religious disturbances in France, over seventeen hundred sisters were engaged in France, Spain, South America, and Asiatic Turkey, where they have charge of a number of schools and protectories for girls. At Agua de Dios in Colombia they care for a colony of lepers. In 1813 the mother-house was established at Saint-Symphorien near Tours. In 1897, the congregation was affiliated with the Dominicans, and is now known as the Dominican Sisters of Charity of the Presentation of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of Tours.