Educator and author, editor-in-chief of . Graduated from the College of Saint Francis Xavier, New York, he was professor of Latin language and literature at the College of the City of New York, 1869-1914, and from 1873 also librarian. He was a founder of the Xavier Alumni Association and the Catholic Club of New York, and president of the Catholic Congress convened at Newark, New Jersey, 1892. In 1898 he assisted in the restoration of the United States Catholic Historical Society, being named its president, and was editor of the “Historical Records and Studies,” as well as of a series of monographs. In 1905 he became editor-in-chief of , and, by the aid of accomplished sons and daughters completed his part of the work despite the handicap of partial and finally complete blindness. He was editor and author of numerous papers on educational and historical topics. He was made a Knight of Saint Gregory, 1909, and awarded the medal Pro Ecclesia et Pontice, and the Laetare Medal, 1913.