- Anian (1267-1305), who baptized Edward II
- Thomas Skevington, or Pace (1509 – 1533), who completed the cathedral
- William Glynn (1553 – 1558), the last Catholic bishop
Its history before the Conquest is obscure. The cathedral, the smallest in England or Wales, destroyed by the Normans in 1071, rebuilt by them, burned 1402, and again rebuilt in the 16th century, has served since the Reformation, as both an Anglican cathedral and parish church. The diocese consisted of Anglesea, Carnarvonshire, the greater part of Merionethshire, and some parishes in the counties of Denbigh and Montgomery.