Founded by King Alexander. The inhabitants of the region were evangelized by Saint Gervadius of Ireland in the 8th century. The first bishop, Gregory, c.1150, administered the territory on the southern shore of Moray Firth, bounded south by the bishoprics of Argyll and Dunkeld, east by Ross and Argyll, west by Aberdeen. Bishop Andrew de Moray, 1223-1242, established the diocesan seat at Elgin; the last pre-Reformation bishop was Patrick Hepburn, 1535-1573. The cathedral at Elgin was dedicated, 15 July 1224. At present Moray is a diocese of the Scottish Episcopal Church.