Diocese of Ossory, Ireland

Founded in 549. Early missionaries include Saint Kieran and Saint Canice. Suffragan of the archdiocese of Dublin, Ireland. Interesting relics of earlier days of the diocese are its Norman castles, round towers, and ruins of Kells Priory, Inistioge, the Dominican priory of Rosebercon, the Cistercian abbey of Jerpoint, the Franciscan Black Abbey, and Saint John’s priory. The old cathedral at Kilkenny dating from about 1200, one of the largest ecclesiastical buildings of Ireland, has been in Protestant hands since the Reformation; extensive restorations were made in 1865. Notable bishops include

See also