Diocese of Wewak, Papua New Guinea

The western part of the Mandated Territory of New Guinea mainland and adjacent islands, was established as the Prefecture Apostolic of West Kaiserwilhelmsland, by the division of the Prefecture Apostolic of Kaiserwilhelmsland on 25 July 1913. Name changed to the Prefecture Apostolic of Central New Guinea and entrusted to the Missionaries of the Society of the Divine Word on 14 November 1922. Elevated to the Vicariate Apostolic of Central New Guinea on 22 August 1931. Name changed to the Vicariate Apostolic of Wewak on 15 May 1952. Elevated to the diocese of Wewak on 15 November 1966. Suffragen of the Archdiocese of Madang, Papua New Guinea. Notable bishops include

See also