City and seaport, Forfarshire, on Firth of Tay. It was erected into a royal burgh by William the Lion, c.1200, shared prominently in the War of Scottish Independence, and was captured by the English under John of Gaunt, 1385. From its activity in propagating the doctrines of the Reformation it was called the Scottish Geneva. During the Civil War it was sacked several times, by Montrose, 1645, and by General Monk, 1651. In 1889 it became a city and now sends two members to Parliament. Among its many churches, five of which are Catholic, the most interesting is “Town Churches,” consisting of Saint Mary’s, Saint Paul’s, and Saint Clement’s, the three under one roof, surmounted by a square tower called the “Old Steeple,” once the belfry of a church erected in the 12th century. This belfry was restored by Sir Gilbert Scott, 1873. Saint Andrew’s Catholic Cathedral, of the Diocese of Dunkeld, is a modern building, in early English style.
- “Dundee, Scotland”. . Saints.SQPN.com. 5 November 2009. Web. 29 August 2014. <http://saints.sqpn.com/dundee-scotland/>