Christians who were blamed by the Roman Emperor Nero with setting fire to Rome, Italy, and were sentenced to death as punishment. They were all disciples of the Apostles. The total number of these murders is known only to God.
- martyred in 64 in a variety of ways, the gorier the better from Nero‘s point of view; some were covered with the skins of animals and thrown to wild dogs to be torn apart; others were crucified and at sunset were covered in oil and used as human torches
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic News Agency
- Martirologio Romano, 2005 edition
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- “First Martyrs of Rome“. Saints.SQPN.com. 30 June 2013. Web. 12 December 2013. <>