Mother-house of the Carthusian Order, in the Alps, 14 miles northeast of Grenoble, France. It was founded in 1084 by Saint Bruno. Saint Anthelm, the seventh prior, was the first general of the order. After losing most of its land in the French Revolution the monastery supported itself largely by manufacturing the famous cordial, now made at Tarragona, Spain. The congregation of La Grande Chartreuse was expelled by the French Government in 1903; it now resides with the general, at Farnea, near Lucca, Italy.