Devotional medal made at the great monastery of the Benedictine Order at Monte Cassino, Italy. It is stamped with a likeness of Saint Benedict, “Father of the Monastic Life,” bearing the book of the Benedictine rule and a cross, beneath which are the words Crux Partris Benedicti (Cross of Father Benedict). A chalice and a raven are shown, symbolic of the priesthood and of hermit life. Around the edge are the words Ejus in Obitu Nostro Praesentia Muniamur (At our death may we be strengthened by his presence). On the reverse side are various initials of Latin mottoes and the word Pax (peace) or the monogram IHS. It was first approved by Benedict XIV in 1741, and further indulgences were granted by Pius IX and Pius X.
- “medal of Saint Benedict”. . Saints.SQPN.com. 8 August 2013. Web. 17 March 2014. <>