Alamo, The

??kb jpg New Catholic Dictionary illustration for 'The Alamo' Franciscan mission founded at San Pedro Springs, Texas, c.1718, under the name of San Antonio de Valera. In 1732 it was moved to the military plaza of San Antonio, Texas, and in 1744 to its present site, and renamed the Alamo. The buildings consisted of a church, hospital, and convent with walled enclosure. In the war for Texan independence it was valiantly defended by a small garrison against a large Mexican force under Santa Anna (1836); hence the slogan "Remember the Alamo."

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author