Alcala, University of
Madrid, Spain, established at Alcala de Henares as the College of San Ildefonso, 1508, by the Franciscan, Francisco Ximenes de Cisneros, prime minister of Spain.
As early, as 1499 this project had received the approbation of Pope Alexander VI.
The studies included theology, canon law, logic, philosophy, medicine, Hebrew, Greek, rhetoric, and grammar.
In 1836 it was removed to Madrid where it now forms a part of the University of Madrid.
In 1817 the University of Alcala published a polyglot Bible called Complutensian from the ancient name of the town.
New Catholic Dictionary