Alcala de Henares; Complutum

Town in Spain, 22 miles northeast of Madrid, on the Henares River. It was destroyed in 1000, rebuilt 1083 by the Moors, and became famous in the Middle Ages for its university (see Alcala, University of). After the removal of the university to Madrid the buildings and the former palace of the Archbishop of Toledo were converted into libraries. It was the birthplace of Cervantes and Catherine of Aragon.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author