Arbroath

Benedictine abbey in Forfarshire, on the east coast of Scotland, founded, 1178, by King William the Lion. There remain extensive ruins of a 13th-century church and other buildings of the monastery. The monks constructed a harbor and placed the bell on Inchcape Rock, a dangerous reef in the North Sea 12 miles southeast of the abbey, the subject of Southey's ballad. Of the 32 mitered abbots the last was Cardinal Beaton.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author