diocese of Wau, Sudan

Established as a prefecture Apostolic, 30 May 1913, and raised to a vicariate, 13 June 1917. Comprises the territory bounded North by 10 degrees latitude, East by the Anglo-Ethiopian frontier, West by the Anglo-Belgian frontier, South by the White Nile and Lake Albert; entrusted to the Sons of the Sacred Heart of Verona. Name changed to the vicariate apostolic of Wau on 26 May 1961. Elevated to the diocese of Wau, 12 December 1974. Suffragan of Juba. See also:

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author