dopcese of Bath and Wells
Ancient see, coextensive with Somersetshire, England, instituted 909, with AEthelhelm (909-914) as first bishop.
From that time until 1244 the diocese was known under various titles, such as Somerset, Wells, Bath, and Bath and Glastonbury.
The cathedral at Wells was rebuilt by Robert of Lewes (1136-1166) and restored by Jocelin Troteman (1206-1242).
After the dissolution of Bath Abbey, 1539, the bishop had his seat at Wells alone.
William Barlow (1549), a usurper, was succeeded by Gilbert Bourne (1554-1559), the last Catholic bishop (died 1569).
New Catholic Dictionary