Founded by William the Conqueror on the site of the battle of Hastings, 1067.
The first monks came from the Benedictine Abbey of Marmoutier, and though the buildings were designed for 140, the community never exceeded 60.
Consecrated, 1094, the abbey was richly endowed and granted many privileges.
The mitered abbot had a seat in Parliament and the right to pardon any criminal he might meet being led to execution.
In the abbey was kept the Roll of Battle Abbey, a list of all those who accompanied William from Normandy.
Suppressed, 1538, the buildings were given to Sir Anthony Browne, who tore them down and built a mansion on the site, leaving only the entrance and some ruins which still remain.
New Catholic Dictionary