archdiocese of Bombay, India

Comprises the Island of Bombay, several outlying churches in the Island of Salsette, a large portion of the Bombay Residency north of the river Nerbudda to Quetta, including the districts of Gujerat (Broach, Baroda, Ahmedabad), Kathiawar, Cutch, Sind, and a part of Beluchistan; erected into archbishopric, 1886; suffragan sees, Calicut, Mangalore, Poona, Trichinopoly, and Tuticorin. Formerly a vicariate Apostolic, its bishops were Carmelites from 1708-1850; a Capuchin, Anastasius Hartmann, governed, 1850-1858; and since then the Jesuits have held the episcopal succession. See also:
New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author