Congregation of the Brothers of Christian Instruction of Saint Gabriel
(Brothers of Saint Gabriel)
Founded at Saint-Laurent-sur-Sevre, France, 1705, by the missionary priest, Louis Grignion de Montfort, as the Brothers of the Holy Ghost.
Their work consists in the instruction of the young, the blind, the deaf, the dumb, the care of orphans, and the administering of the temporalities of the Fathers of the Company of Mary.
The Revolution interrupted the progress of the order, but under Gabriel Deshayes, named superior in 1821, it revived and spread rapidly.
In 1835 the members devoted to work in schools were separately established in the House of Saint Gabriel and in 1842 they became autonomous, adopting the title of Brothers of Saint Gabriel in 1853.
The society was introduced into Canada, 1888, and the provincial house for North America is located at Sault-au-Recollet, near Montreal.
New Catholic Dictionary