Caughnawaga

[] (Sault Saint Louis) An Iroquois reservation, situated on the Saint Lawrence, near the Lachine Rapids above Montreal; area, 12,327 acres. Father Raffeix, SJ, founded in 1667 a Christian community at Laprairie opposie Montreal. This mission after being moved several times was transferred to Caughnawaga in 1716, and is now under the care of Jesuits. The Indians are intelligent and industrious, being occupied in farming, bead-work, etc. The village contains a church, schools, and a hospital. It is governed by a mayor and council. Catherine Tekakwitha, the Lily of the Mohawks, whose process of beatification has been begun, spent her last years there, and her tomb nearby is a place of pilgrimage.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author