Congregation of Notre Dame de Namur

Founded, 1803, at Amiens, France, by Blessed Julie Billiart and Marie Lourse Françoise Blin de Bourdon, for the education of youth, and the training of religious teachers. The community lived first under a provisional rule, based upon that of Saint Ignatius, drawn up by Mother Julie and Father Joseph Varin, S.J. This was officially approved in 1807. The congregation has 145 houses, 3 orphanages, and 215 schools (including Trinity College, Washington, DC, and Saint Mary's Hall, Liverpool) in Belgium, England, Scotland, the United States, the Belgian Congo, Orange Free State, Japan, and China. The mother-house is at Namur; the total number of religious is 4,000.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author