Congregation of the Retreat of the Sacred Heart; Society of Mary
Founded at Quimper, France, 1678, by Claude Therese de Kermeno, in collaboration with Father Huby, under the title Institute of Retreat, later changed to Ladies of the Retreat.
The Sisters follow the Rule of Saint Ignatiuis, uniting active works with the contemplative life, by conducting retreats, educating girls of the upper classes, and instructing poor children.
The congregation has 23 houses, including day and boarding schools in France, England, Ireland, and Belgium.
The mother-house is at Angers, France.
New Catholic Dictionary