Ancient city, Greece, situated at the southern end of the isthmus separating the Gulf of Corinth from that of Ægina.
It was of prehistoric legendary origin, and became a flourishing city by reason of its position between the Peloponnesus and central Greece.
About 1100 B.C. it waged victorious warfare against Athens, and later founded many colonies, including Syracuse.
Sacked by the Romans, 146 B.C.; it was restored by Julius Cresar and Hadrian.
It was the scene of Saint Paul's successful apostolate (Acts 18), and the recipient of two Pauline epistles, A.D. 57 and 58.
It was captured by the Turks, 1458, and held by them until 1821, except for an interval from 1687-1715, when the Venetians controlled it.
In 1858 an earthquake destroyed it, and it was replaced by New Corinth, 3.5 miles to the northeast.
Lequien mentions only 20 Latin prelates from 1210-1700, although Eubel gives 22 archbishops from 1212-1476.
The name exists as a titular archbishopric.
New Catholic Dictionary