diocese of Cork and Ross, Ireland
The original diocese of Cork, Ireland was founded in the 6th century by Saint Finbarr.
The old church of Saint Finbarr, called Gill Abbey, stood until 1725 on the site now occupied by the Protestant cathedral.
It was the home of a famous school.
Bishops of the diocese include Saint Nessan, and Blessed Thaddeus McCarthy in 1492.
The diocese of Ross, Ireland was established in 570 by Saint Fachtna.
Episcopal succession remained unbroken until after the Reformation.
Blessed Thady MacCarthy, appointed in 1482, was forcibly removed from his benefice in 1488.
Bishop Thomas O'Herlihy (1562-1580) was present at the Council of Trent.
In 1625 it was necessary to administer the diocese through a vicar-general.
Puritans razed part of the cathedral in 1647.
In 1693 the diocese was placed under the administration of the Bishop of Cork
It was united with Cloyne from 1748 to 1849.
The diocesan seat was removed to Skibbereen under Bishop O'Hea (1857-1877).
On 19 April 1958 the two dioceses were united to form the diocese of Cork and Ross.
It comprises Cork City and a portion of County Cork.
Suffragen of the archdiocese of Cashel.
New Catholic Dictionary