Monastery of the Cluniac Benedictines founded in Carrick, Scotland, at the beginning of the 13th century by Duncan, Earl of Carrick. It flourished until the Reformation when it was confiscated by the government, 1561, and a layman, Allan Stewart, named commendator by the queen. The Earl of Cassillis claimed the lands for himself, and, as Stewart refused to surrender his rights, the earl had him roasted at a fire and basted with oil until he consented.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author