Danzig

Free city north of Poland and west of Prussia on the Gulf of Danzig; area, 754 square miles. Formerly the capital of West Prussia, it was combined with a portion of the surrounding country and declared a free state by the Treaty of Versailles, 1919, and placed under the protection of the League of Nations. In 1922 parts of the dioceses of Chelmno (Culm) in Poland and Ermland in Prussia were formed into the Administration Apostolic of Danzig, raised to a diocese in 1925, with 40 churches, 74 priests, 965 sisters, and 140,797 Catholics.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author