Town, department of Nord, France, on the Scarpe River.
It was strongly fortified in the Middle Ages and was the seat of Douai University.
To the English college founded there by Cardinal Allen, 1568, is largely due the religious training of the English clergy in penal times, and the preservation of the Catholic Faith in England.
It was part of the Netherlands captured by Louis XIV, 1667, and was ceded to France, 1713, by the Treaty of Utrecht.
During the French Revolution the English fled to England.
The Anglo-Benedictines maintained a school until 1903.
New Catholic Dictionary