diocese of Down and Connor, Ireland
Comprises Antrim, the greater part of Down, and the Liberties of Coleraine, in Derry County; area, c.576 square miles; suffragan of Armagh.
Saint Fergus (died 583) was probably the first Bishop of Down; Saint Macnisse founded the See of Connor, 480, and Saint Malachy was bishop there (1124).
Although several times united in their early history, the dioceses were not permanently joined until 1451.
Bishops of the united dioceses include the martyrs Cornelius O'Devanny and Heber MacMahon (17th century); episcopal residence, Belfast.
The ancient cathedral of Downpatrick is in ruins.
New Catholic Dictionary