Dungannon, Ireland

Market town in County Tyrone, the ancient seat of the O'Neills. Here the independence of the Irish Parliament was proclaimed in 1782. The town was formerly a parliamentary borough, returning one member to the Imperial Parliament until 1885. It contains a parish church with an octagonal spire and a royal school founded in 1614.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author