diocese of Eshowe, South Africa
Established as the Prefecture Apostolic of Zululand, 27 August 1921, formerly part of the Vicariate Apostolic of Natal; bounded east by Indian Ocean, south by Tugela River, west by districts of Utrecht and Swaziland, north by Transvaal and East Africa.
Entrusted to the Benedictines of Saint Odila for the Foreign Missions.
Raised to a vicariate as the Vicariate Apostolic of Eshowe, Union of South Africa, 11 December 1923.
Elevated to the Diocese of Eshowe on 11 January 1951.
New Catholic Dictionary