Faversham Abbey

A former Benedictine monastery of the Cluniac Congregation near Canterbury, founded by King Stephen and Queen Matilda. The church was completed, c.1251. In 1538 the abbey was surrendered to the crown and rented by Henry VIII to John Wheler, subsequently passing through the hands of several owners. At the present day only portions of the outer walls remain.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author