The 4th state to be admitted to the Union, 2 January 1788.
Colonial Georgia prohibited Catholic settlers, but after the Revolution a few Catholic families moved in from Maryland, and soon after 1793 some French refugees from Santo Domingo arrived.
They were accompanied by the Abbe Le Moine (died 1796), who served them first in a little colony called Maryland, about 50 miles north of Augusta.
The settlement soon moved to Savannah, where the simple wooden church of Saint John the Baptist was built on a lot given by the city council.
In 1803 the Abbe Antoine Carles, also from Santo Domingo, was appointed pastor of Savannah by Bishop John Carroll.
In Augusta the first church, that of the Holy Trinity, was built in 1810, by the Reverend Robert Browne, an Augustinian.
Catholic influence on place-names of the state include
Ecclesiastically, the state is governed by
- Saint Charles
- Saint Clair
- Saint George
- Saint Mary's
- Saint Simon's Island
New Catholic Dictionary