archdiocese of Glasgow, Scotland

[cathedral of Saint Andrew, archdiocese of Glasgow] Founded as a diocese c.543 by Saint Kentigern. Elevated to an archdiocese in 1492. Following the suppression of Catholicism in Scotland the see became vacant. It was re-established as the Vicariate Apostolic of the Western District of Scotland on 13 February 1827. Elevated to an archdiocese on 4 March 1878. Suffragen dioceses include See also
New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author