Hexham Abbey; Hextold Abbey; Hagustald Abbey
Founded by Saint Wilfrid of York (674) on land given by the Northumbrian queen, Saint Etheldreda.
It became the seat of a bishopric in 678, received a grant of sanctuary from the king, and was administered by several saints, among whom were Saint Acca, Saint Eata, and Saint John of Beverley.
After the Danish invasions, the monastery was rebuilt in 1113 and transformed into a priory for Austin Canons which flourished until its dissolution under Henry VIII when the last prior was hanged at Tyburn.
The Saxon crypt of Saint Wilfrid, a wonderful example of the earliest architecture, built of Roman stones, lies under the abbey church of Saint Andrew, a beautiful relic of the 13th century.
The name survives in the modern Catholic Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle.
New Catholic Dictionary