Fourth Bishop and first Archbishop of New York, born Annaloghan, County Tyrone, Ireland, 1797; died New York, New York, 1864.
Arriving with his father in America in 1817, he lived for a time at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
In 1819 he entered Mount Saint Mary's College at Emmitsburg, working his way as gardener and then as teacher.
Ordained in Saint Joseph's Church, Philadelphia, in 1826, he served later as pastor there and at Saint Augustine's, and built the church of Saint John in 1832.
Named coadjutor to Bishop Dubois of New York in 1837, he was consecrated in old Saint Patrick's Cathedral on Mott Street.
He put an end to the vicious trustee system in 1839.
From 1840-1842 he engaged in fruitless efforts to have the public school moneys fairly apportioned, succeeding, however, in promoting the parochial school movement.
He succeeded Bishop Dubois in 1842.
He established Saint Joseph's Seminary at Rose Hill, Fordham, in 1840, and Saint John's College in 1841, the Jesuits being put in charge in 1846.
By upholding the rights of Catholic citizens to defend their property he prevented an outbreak in New York of the fanatical Native American riots in 1844.
He was invited in 1847 to address Congress.
In 1851 he was named Archbishop of New York, receiving the pallium in Rome from the hands of Pius IX.
In 1858 the cornerstone of Saint Patrick's Cathedral was laid.
During the Civil War he went, in 1861, at the request of the government, to France, where he helped to secure French loyalty to the federal government.
Saint Joseph's Seminary was opened at Troy in 1864.
Before his death four bishoprics had been created within the territory of his first diocese: Albany, Buffalo, Brooklyn, and Newark.
His body, buried first in old Saint Patrick's, was removed to the present cathedral in 1883.
New Catholic Dictionary